RSSCommunity

Getting rid of what the water flushed in

December 2, 2015
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

BY MARK K. CAMPBELL
After the wettest November jacking up the numbers to what has become the wettest year in recorded North Texas weather history, waters are finally receding.
The water might be leaving but something else could be staying behind: unwanted pests ranging from ants to snakes to scorpions to rats.
Rising water sent the critters scurrying to high ground – sometimes into homes and businesses, and the invaders don’t want to leave their new, dry residences.
After all, there’s food and water in their new homes.
But they must go. Here are some tips to reclaim your home or business from recent residents:
• Be alert for unwanted visitors that have been displaced by flood waters.… Read the rest

Continue Reading

I am thankful for……

November 23, 2015
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Community leaders and the newspaper staff share their thoughts

Amy Walker, Springtown Area Chamber of Commerce director: I am thankful for this wonderful life God has blessed me with. I am thankful for friends, I couldn’t survive without them. I am thankful for my family – I have been blessed with the best! I am thankful for choice; I choose to be happy every day because I have so much to be thankful for. I am thankful for my health, laughter, music. I could go on and on. I am extremely thankful for holidays because I will get to spend time with my loved ones!… Read the rest

Continue Reading

Capturing creepy concepts

November 18, 2015
Capturing creepy concepts

The haunted church off Carter Road south of Springtown is eerie enough. It really looks creepy when the photo is “inverted.”                                       Photos by Mark K. Campbell

by Mark K. Campbell
I started thinking about a Halloween story during the summer.
I stumbled across a tale of someone in Springtown spotting and reporting a UFO.
Plus I knew of a scary, deteriorating church nearby and thought I could cobble together a fun seasonal story.
But finding accompanying photographs would require more work.
Then, one day late last spring in the annual futile effort to get in better shape for summer vacation, I was lifting weights in the sun room at home.… Read the rest

Continue Reading

Sales taxes up here but statewide revenue plummets 4.5 percent

November 18, 2015
Sales taxes up here but statewide revenue plummets 4.5 percent

BY CARLA NOAH STUTSMAN
Sales tax figures around the state were released Nov. 4, and in this area, the news was generally good.
Only the town of Lakeside saw a loss compared with November 2014; but last year, Lakeside was riding high after a 1 percent tax increase to offset property values, and now seems to be settling in at figures a little lower than 2014.
All other area cities and special purpose districts realized an increase over November 2014 figures.
The smallest city in the area – Sanctuary – saw the greatest increase over November 2014 with $2,375. That’s 73.73 percent higher than November 2014, when it received $1,367.… Read the rest

Continue Reading

#EndTheStreakTX

November 11, 2015
#EndTheStreakTX

You can read the story of this terrible wreck from the point of view of reporter Carla Noah Stutsman on the Opinion page; her daughter was a passenger in the collision that killed three teenagers in 1996. Photo from the Azle News archives

Campaign aims to stop 15-year streak of state road deaths

Someone has died on a Lone Star roadway every day since Nov. 2000

BY MISTY SHAW
It’s been 5,478 days – and counting – that Texas has gone a single day without a fatality automobile accident.
That’s 15 consecutive years of daily deaths on roadways statewide.
November 7 marked a “grim milestone” as a Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) press release put it: At least one road fatality has occurred daily since the year 2000, totaling 51,832 lives lost.… Read the rest

Continue Reading

Six area residents indicted by Parker County Grand Jury

November 11, 2015
Six area residents indicted by Parker County Grand Jury

BY CARLA NOAH STUTSMAN
A Parker County grand jury returned 41 indictments when it met to consider evidence related to criminal cases presented by Parker County District Attorney Don Schnebley Thursday, Nov. 5.
Of those 41, six of those indicted are residents of the area: one from Poolville, one from Reno, two from Azle and two from Springtown.
• Erin Marie Alford, 32, of Poolville, was indicted on a charge of possession of a controlled substance in penalty group 1, less than one gram, a state jail felony.
• Jason Andrew Davidson, 29, of Reno, was indicted on a charge of assault causing serious bodily injury, a second-degree felony.… Read the rest

Continue Reading

Annual Azle Lake Run gun fires Nov. 14

November 11, 2015

Local runners have a trio of distances to choose from at the 2015 Azle Lake Run.
The event – set for Saturday, Nov. 14 at Azle High School, 1200 Boyd Road – will once again be a fundraiser for charities of the Azle Ministerial Alliance and the AHS Marching Green Pride band which will play during the event.
The pet-friendly race distances are 1-mile Fun Run; 5K (3.1 miles); 9.9K (a smidgen short of a 10K [6.2 miles]), a race tradition; and a half marathon (13.1 miles).
Early registrants get a discount.
Fees for the participants registering before Friday, Nov. 13 can sign up for:
• 1-mile Fun Run: $15
• 5K kids 12 and under: $15
• 5K adults: $20
• 9.9K: $30
• half marathon: $60
Race day registration is permitted.… Read the rest

Continue Reading

Veterans Day 96 years old: Originally called Armistice Day

November 4, 2015
Veterans Day 96 years old: Originally called Armistice Day

Annually, the Office of Public Affairs conducts a contest for a National Veterans Day Poster; this is the 2015 winner. See former victors at va.gov – click on “Poster Gallery” on the bottom of the opening page.

By Mark K. Campbell
It all began with the end of the “Great War.”
That’s what World War I was called.
While the war officially ended with the signing of the Treaty of Versailles on June 28, 1919, fighting had actually ceased months before.
An armistice – a temporary cessation of hostilities – was declared Nov. 11, 1918: the “eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.”
At that time, Allied nations and Germany stopped fighting.… Read the rest

Continue Reading

PC plant fundraising event ongoing

November 4, 2015
PC plant fundraising event ongoing

Yes, bluebonnets and fall wildflower seeds should be planted now.
Fall seedlings need the winter to build root growth, staying close to the ground until spring.
The Parker County Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD) is again taking pre-paid orders for its annual tree seedlings fundraiser until Thursday, Feb. 18.
Delivered in bulk by the Texas Forest Service, seedlings will be ready for pick up on Feb. 26.
This year, containerized species include Afghanistan Pine, American Plum, Oriental Arborvitae, Austrian Pine, Bald Cypress, Deodara Cedar, Fourwing Saltbush, Honeylocust, Italian Stone Pine, Lacebark Elm, and Pinyon Pine.
The seedlings are 6 to 12 inches tall, with a 10 cubic inch root volume, in a plastic tube.… Read the rest

Continue Reading

Parker County Arrests

November 4, 2015

The following individuals who list addresses in the Azle and/or Springtown areas were arrested by various law enforcement agencies and booked into the Parker County Jail between Oct. 25-31.
• Dylan Jacob Koenig, 21, of Springtown, was arrested Oct. 25 by Parker County Sheriff’s deputies and charged with two counts of theft of property $2,500-$30,000 – a state jail felony, and burglary of a habitation – a second-degree felony.
Also: Koenig was arrested again Oct. 29 by Parker County Sheriff’s deputies for a warrant for theft of a firearm – a state jail felony.
• A 17-year-old Azle man was arrested Oct.… Read the rest

Continue Reading