The weatherman got it right Feb. 27 when 2 to 4 inches of snow fell in the area. School was postponed again and local folks poured outside to enjoy the precipitation – like this sledder at Shady Grove Park.
Photos by Carla Noah Stutsman… Read the rest
On Saturday, Feb. 21 came an Azle first: Two wrestlers won gold at the state tourney in Garland. First, sophomore Lauren Dale went unbeaten in the 138-pound class. Then, in the final match of the state event, Justin Scarbro (left) defeated a much bigger rival as coaches and fans celebrated behind him.… Read the rest
Michael White, 18, of Azle, shows off the chocolate fallow deer he harvested Feb. 14 courtesy of the Texas Chapter of the Outdoor Adventure Foundation and Droptine Ranch. Azle PD Corporal Pat Bovea, left, and retired Azle Lt. Lee Blaisdell, right, took White on the surprise hunt.… Read the rest
Dancer Kayla Arstingstall, well, dazzles during the Azle High School Emerald Dazzler’s halftime performance when AHS hosted Denton in basketball Feb. 3. Next up for the award-winning group are competitions in Weatherford and San Antonio. Photo by Mark K. Campbell… Read the rest
Photographer Natalie Gentry spied this pure white squirrel – presumably an albino – in Reno chowing down on its winter food cache and scurrying along a field Jan. 16. “I knew I had to shoot it (with my camera that is),” she said. On Jan. 21, she finally got the chance, although the wily white wonder did not like her getting out of her vehicle; the critter quickly scampered off. Photo by Natalie Gentry… Read the rest
A recycle truck emptied a bin at Azle Elementary Monday, Jan. 19 about 8:45 a.m., but with the sun in the driver’s eyes, the truck’s scoop clipped overhead electrical lines, shutting off power to the school and numerous homes, businesses, and churches. Worse, sparks from the electrical lines caught the truck’s contents on fire. The driver was able to move the vehicle away from the campus and dump his entire load in the middle of Church Street, where it blazed until Azle Fire Department personnel arrived to snuff the flames.… Read the rest
At home in their former abode, now owned by friends, the Mowrey family is grateful to be safe after a devastating fire and for the vast outpouring of generosity from the community. From left to right are Hannah, Ginger, Hector, Madison, Ashley, and Jim. Photo by Carla Noah Stutsman… Read the rest