According to a story in George Wallis’ book Cattle Kings of the Staked Plains, a romance fits nicely into the history of the wildest cowtown in Texas: Tascosa.
The town was located on a popular crossing of the Canadian River in present Oldham County in the Texas Panhandle. Cowboys crossed the river there on their way to Dodge City.
The site of what later became Tascosa was a settlement for sheepherders and freighters from New Mexico in 1876 when they built adobe huts and irrigation ditches on creeks that ran into the Canadian. Their leader, Casimero Romero, named it Plaza Atascosa, which meant “boggy” creek. He and his sheepmen stayed in the area even after the Anglos came, but most of the Hispanics went back to New Mexico.