RSSCommunity

‘Living Bright’

December 17, 2014
‘Living Bright’

Ventriloquist Maegan Bruce shares the love of God and a lot of fun

By Natalie Gentry
A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps. -Proverbs 16:9

Maegan Bruce isn’t new to entertaining crowds; according to her website, the Parker County native has been performing since she could talk.
“My mom was a puppeteer and my dad was a ventriloquist before they even met, so I joke that I was kind of bred for it,” Bruce said. “I was raised around it, but I was also one of those kids who spent way too much time making faces in the mirror, choreographing dance numbers in her room, and making her parents sit through ‘shows’ with puppets and homemade props and sets.”… Read the rest

Continue Reading

Reno Christmas Party

December 10, 2014
Reno Christmas Party

The City of Reno Children’s Christmas Party will be at the Reno City Hall on Dec. 20 from 6 p.m.-9 p.m. Santa will be there so children can tell him if they have been naughty or nice. Snacks will be provided. Photo by Carla Noah Stutsman

Read the rest

Continue Reading

Police warn of IRS scam

December 10, 2014

Citizens throughout the City of Weatherford and Parker County intermittently have reported phony phone calls to the authorities.
Reports say the caller purports themselves as agents of the Internal Revenue Service.
At times the caller may try to convince victims they are legitimate agents of the IRS in an attempt to solicit money for unpaid taxes.
These scare tactics are generally used against the victim by threatening criminal action or jail time.… Read the rest

Continue Reading

Sharing my story: Poolville author Lauren Boehm Lynch writes stories of farm-life, family, and fun

December 10, 2014
Sharing my story: Poolville author Lauren Boehm Lynch writes stories of farm-life, family, and fun

Lauren Boehm Lynch shares some affection with one of the goats on Broken Road Farm – the setting for much of her writing. Photo by Natalie Gentry

by Natalie Gentry
Local author Lauren Boehm Lynch loves the time she spends with her husband Tim on their Broken Road Farm in Poolville.
In fact, she enjoys the country living so much that she is always looking for a new way to share the “farm experience” with others.… Read the rest

Continue Reading

Texas Health offers low-dose CT scanner

December 3, 2014

Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Azle now offers the 64-slice computed tomography scanner with adaptive statistical iterative reconstruction (ASIR).
The new scanner delivers high-speed, high-quality images with up to 40 percent less radiation, representing an important advancement in CT scan diagnostics for the hospital.
This next generation of diagnostic imaging technology scans nearly 40 percent faster than earlier generations, cutting patients’ radiation exposure nearly in half.… Read the rest

Continue Reading

Parker County Arrests

December 3, 2014

The following individuals who list addresses in the Azle and/or Springtown areas were arrested by various law enforcement agencies and booked into the Parker County Jail during between Nov. 20-29.
• A 43-year-old Springtown man was arrested Nov. 20 by Parker County Sheriff’s deputies on a motion to revoke probation or parole for a prior charge of injury to a child, the elderly, or disabled.… Read the rest

Continue Reading

Parker Grand Jury hands down indictments

December 3, 2014
Parker Grand Jury hands down indictments

Azle, Springtown names on list

by Carla Noah Stutsman
Four people from Azle and two from Springtown were among those indicted after a Parker County grand jury met Thursday, Nov. 20 in Weatherford.
The grand jury meets twice monthly to consider evidence in criminal cases presented by the Parker County District Attorney’s Office.
Indictments were handed down against the following area residents, among others:
• Dennis Glen Brooks, 45, of Azle, was indicted for theft $1,500-20,000, a state jail felony, and for theft $100,000-200,000, a second-degree felony.… Read the rest

Continue Reading

Unhappy holidays

December 3, 2014
Unhappy holidays

by Mark K. Campbell
“You will grieve.”
Brian Brinkmann knows firsthand what loss is – and how surviving holidays can be tough.
Brinkmann’s 17-year-old daughter Sarah was killed in a car crash Nov. 17, 2009.
As expected, he struggled with the loss until he eventually found GriefShare.
A single dad at the time and well involved in ministry, Brinkmann’s world eroded.
“I thought church was a place where I could hide my emotions,” he said.… Read the rest

Continue Reading

Courthouse lighting Nov. 29

November 24, 2014
Courthouse lighting Nov. 29

Event starts a 7 p.m. in Weatherford

The second annual Parker County courthouse lighting is slated for Saturday, Nov. 29 at 7 p.m.
A big crowd is expected; last year, over 1,000 people showed up.
This year’s ceremony will be substantially shorter, county official Joel Kertok noted.
The event starts with Christmas carols at 7 p.m. with the actually courthouse and tree lighting following at 7:15.… Read the rest

Continue Reading

Parker County Arrests

November 24, 2014

The following individuals who list addresses in the Azle and/or Springtown areas were arrested by various law enforcement agencies and booked into the Parker County Jail Nov. 15-20.
• Wilder Eric Jones, 20, of Poolville, was arrested Nov. 15 by Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) troopers and charged with driving while intoxicated.
• Weatherford police arrested David M. Guay, 24, of Poolville Nov. 16 and charged him with driving while intoxicated.… Read the rest

Continue Reading