A quartet from the area was rcently indicted.
A Parker County grand jury met Aug. 4 in Weatherford to consider evidence in criminal cases presented by the Parker County District Attorney’s Office.
The grand jury handed down 34 indictments, including one against an Azle man and a trio against three men who reside in Springtown.
• Lonnie Doyle Covey, Jr., 28, of Azle, was indicted on a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, a second-degree felony.
• Terry Lee Kelley, 26, of Springtown, was indicted on charges of burglary of a building, a state jail felony, and evading arrest or detention with a vehicle, a third-degree felony.… Read the rest
A pair of orientation sessions with information on becoming a master gardener is set.
To be conducted at the Parker County Extension Office at 604 North Main Street in Weatherford, attending one of the two sessions is mandatory for becoming a master gardener intern.
The first session begins at 2 p.m. Monday, Aug. 29.
A second sessions is slated for Tuesday, Sept. 16.
The orientations will detail specifics of the course and expectations of participants; applications will be available.
The actual training course begins Tuesday, Oct. 4 then continues weekly on most Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.… Read the rest
The following individuals who list addresses in the Azle and/or Springtown areas were arrested by various law enforcement agencies and booked into the Parker County Jail during the week of Aug. 8-14:
* Shawn Michael Fuller, 37, of Springtown, was arrested Aug. 8 by Parker County Sheriff’s deputies and charged with theft of property, $1,500-$20,000, a state jail felony. As of Aug. 15 he remained in jail in lieu of $10,000 bond.
• A 30-year-old Azle man was arrested Aug. 10 by Parker County Sheriff’s deputies and charged with driving with an invalid license, with previous convictions. He posted $750 bond and was released the following day.… Read the rest
by Mark K Campbell
Well, this doesn’t happen every day.
Or even every few years.
But, if you’re a fan of things celestial, this week is one for the books.
The annual Perseid meteor shower is back, returning as it does every late July-early August.
Usually, during the peak of the shower, as many as 80 brilliant streaks – actually the tiny bits of dust igniting as they enter our atmosphere at 37 miles per second (roughly 133,200 mph) – are visible.… Read the rest
The Weatherford College Foundation has announced scholarship recipients for the 2016-17 academic year, and 95 of the 186 semester awards offered so far are going to Parker County students.
Approximately $90,000 in scholarship funds will be dedicated to students from Parker County.
The typical scholarship is $1,000 per semester, and many students received awards for both fall 2016 and spring 2017.
Students must achieve a minimum GPA in the fall to retain their awards in the spring.
Springtown High School scholarship winners include Merrick Burch, Kristine Camacho, Hannah Kinnard, Natalia Martinez, Yuliza Mejia, Josue Ramirez, and Rachael Rayford.
Azle recipients were Jana Howell, Brooklyn Leal and Tristan Sutherland.… Read the rest
It must be some kind of record. Of the 53 indictments handed down by a Parker County grand jury, two of those indicted are Reno residents, four are from Springtown, and a whopping 15 live in Azle.
• Jessie Mae Aguirre, 35, of Azle, was indicted on a charge of tampering with or fabricating physical evidence with intent to impair, a third-degree felony. Aguirre was also indicted on a charge of possession of a controlled substance in penalty group 1, less than one gram, a state jail felony.
• Chazz Michael Baloga, 19, of Azle, was indicted on a charge of burglary of a habitation, a second-degree felony, as well as for a charge of burglary of a building, a state jail felony.… Read the rest
BY MARK K. CAMPBELL
You know summer is in full force when the trees begin singing.
Well, not the trees but insects in the trees – cicadas are singing for mates.
And it took them a while to get this far.
Enjoy these facts about these amazing creatures:
• There are 3,390 kinds of cicadas found all over the world with 190 in North America and 48 in Texas.… Read the rest
by Mark K. Campbell
Good news, bad news.
Good: The calendar is about to flip which means we’re closer to fall.
Bad: We have to make it through August first.
In Texas, August is the hottest month – which is saying something considering July.… Read the rest
by Carla Noah Stutsman
As Tarrant County Public Health (TCPH) announces the 11th imported case of Zika Virus in Tarrant County, the agency is also reminding citizens that West Nile Virus (WNV) continues to be a concern.
A positive mosquito sample in unincorporated Tarrant County just outside the town of Lakeside necessitated ground-spraying efforts in the area around Yucca Flat Trail and Tapatio Springs Road in the La Cantera subdivision off FM 1886/Confederate Park Road on June 24.
TCPH has also updated the department’s Stop West Nile Virus webpage, which includes Facts about West Nile Virus, WNV Prevention Tips, and a West Nile Virus Toolkit.… Read the rest