The grand jury returned 43 indictments against 39 individuals; of those indicted, four live in Azle, two in Springtown and one in Poolville.
• Robert Jay Cook, 27, of Azle, was indicted on a charge of manufacture or delivery of a controlled substance in penalty group 1, one to four grams, a second-degree felony.… Read the rest
by Natalie Gentry
As the weather cools down the many people believe that the dangers of outdoor burning lessen because of the drop in temperature.
However, this is not the case.
It’s not unusual for counties to issue burn bans around this time of year and, in fact, Tarrant County is under a burn ban until Nov. 16, and Parker County has issued a burn ban ending Oct. 23.
During a burn ban, no burning of any type is allowed.
But, even when there isn’t a ban is in place, there are still some general rules residents are required to follow before outdoor burning.… Read the rest
The following individuals who list addresses in the Azle and/or Springtown areas were arrested by various law enforcement agencies and booked into the Parker County Jail between Oct. 5-15.
• A 46-year-old Poolville man was arrested Oct. 5 by Parker County Sheriff’s deputies for bail jumping on a prior charge of driving with an invalid license.
• Springtown police arrested a 23-year-old Springtown man Oct. 6 on warrants for failure to appear in court and a defective tail lamp.
• A 28-year-old Azle man was arrested by Azle police Oct. 7 and charged with fraud – destruction, removal, or concealment of writing.… Read the rest
Advice from local experts on getting vaccinated this flu season
by Natalie Gentry
To the delight of most people, October heralds the beginning of fall. The changing of the season is marked by cooler weather, earlier evenings, pumpkin spice everything, and the inevitable scratchy throat, aches, and fever that signal the onset of the flu.
It’s commonplace this time of year to see signs posted in schools, pharmacies, and doctors’ offices reminding everyone that flu season is again upon us, and several area health care providers are stocking up on this year’s vaccine.
Dr. Jennifer Hudman of Azle Pediatrics and Laura Temple of Laura’s Pharmacy stress the importance of getting a flu shot.… Read the rest
System aims to improve patient experience and increase access to specialized care
The UT System Board of Regents today approved the creation of an integrated regional health network (Integrated Network) including the UT Southwestern Medical Center and Texas Health Resources (Texas Health) systems. Approval had previously been granted to Texas Health by its board.
The new Integrated Network, to be named Southwestern Health Resources, leverages the strengths of two local health care systems to provide increased access to primary care and specialized care for the people of North Texas.
Plans call for the Integrated Network to include 27 hospitals throughout North Texas, as well as an expansive network of physicians (UTSW faculty, Texas Health employed, university-affiliated and independent) from both organizations.… Read the rest
by Carla Noah Stutsman
The cities of Sanctuary and Azle, along with Azle’s Crime Control and Prevention District and its Municipal Development District, continue to show encouraging increases in sales tax revenue compared with revenues in 2014.
The city of Pelican Bay and the town of Lakeside have recorded some decreases, while the cities of Springtown and Reno are holding their own in spite of a dip in monthly revenue.
Allocations are based on monthly sales made in August by businesses that report tax monthly. Municipalities and special purpose districts received those allocations in October.
The city of Azle’s October revenue of $179,758 is up 6.20 percent from $169,263 in October 2014, and its year-to-date revenue is up 4.94 percent over the same period last year.… Read the rest
• Daniel Scott Norfleet, 57, of Boyd, was indicted for intoxication manslaughter with a vehicle, a second degree felony. David Lawrence Johnson, 64, of Springtown, a passenger in a pickup driven by Norfleet May 12, was killed in a crash in the 500 block of Northwest Parkway in Azle.
• Terry Lee Frank, 55, of Azle, was indicted for driving while intoxicated, third or more, a third degree felony.… Read the rest
The juxtaposition of human effort and strife contrasted with a peaceful and serene view from on high struck a note with an Azle News reporter covering a structure fire on a cliff above Eagle Mountain Lake.Photos by Carla Noah Stutsman
by Carla Noah Stutsman
Anyone who has spent any time on or around Eagle Mountain Lake has gazed upon the handful of homes that sit majestically atop a cliff near the north end of the spillway – just around the point from Twin Points Resort.
I’ve often wondered what lofty views could be seen from up there, and particularly what a thunderstorm or spectacular sunset might be like experienced from the top of that cliff.… Read the rest
The following individuals who list addresses in the Azle and/or Springtown areas were arrested by various law enforcement agencies and booked into the Parker County Jail during the week of Sept. 28-Oct.4.
• A 19-year-old Azle man was arrested Sept. 28 by Azle police and charged with criminal trespass. As of Oct. 5 he remained in jail in lieu of $500 bond.
• Azle police arrested a 24-year-old Azle man Sept. 28 on a motion or revoke probation or parole on a previous charge of possession of a controlled substance – penalty group 2-A, less than two ounces. As of Oct.… Read the rest