RSSCommunity

Sales tax revenues remain difficult to pin down

January 15, 2014
Sales tax revenues remain difficult to pin down

by Carla Noah Stutsman
Texas Comptroller Susan Combs said that state sales tax revenue in December was $2.25 billion, up 3.9 percent compared to December 2012.
“Consumer spending in retail trade contributed to the latest gain in state sales tax collections,” Combs said. “Other sectors such as telecommunications also contributed to the monthly growth, and state sales tax revenue has now increased for 45 consecutive months.”… Read the rest

Continue Reading

Veteran deputy injured in automobile accident

January 15, 2014

by Carla Noah Stutsman
A Parker County Sheriff’s deputy and a Weatherford man were injured in a vehicle crash on FM 51 North Sunday evening, Jan. 12.
Sheriff’s Patrol Sergeant Kim Cooper was on duty in a marked patrol unit returning to the office after responding to a call.
The accident occurred about 8:30 p.m.
According to Trooper Gary Rozzell of the Texas Department of Public Safety, a tow truck driven by Jason Almquist. 30, of Weatherford, was southbound on FM 51 North and had stopped in the roadway while attempting to turn left onto Green Branch Road.… Read the rest

Continue Reading

Local man arrested for stealing travel trailer

January 15, 2014
Local man arrested for stealing travel trailer

A stolen travel trailer was recovered by the Parker County Special Crimes Unit (SCU) on the afternoon of Jan. 8.
After receiving an anonymous tip, SCU investigators went to a residence in the 900 block of Lynch Bend Road in Springtown.
There they located the travel trailer that had been reported stolen in Wise County.
Investigators spoke with the homeowner James William Curtis Jr, 52, who told them that although he recently began living in the travel trailer, he was keeping it for a friend and his permanent residence was in on the property.… Read the rest

Continue Reading

Tarrant County Indictments

January 15, 2014
Tarrant County Indictments

by Carla Noah Stutsman
Every year in Tarrant County, 96 people serve on eight grand juries, which are convened two at a time. A grand jury is composed of 12 Tarrant County residents who serve a three-month term and are paid $36 a day. These grand jurors consider more than 14,000 cases each year.
The following individuals, who list addresses in the Springtown and Azle areas, have been indicted by a Tarrant County Grand Jury.… Read the rest

Continue Reading

Parker County Arrests

January 15, 2014

The following individuals who list addresses in the Azle and/or Springtown areas were arrested by various law enforcement agencies and booked into the Parker County Jail during the week of Jan 6-12.
A 29-year-old Azle woman was arrested on Jan. 6 by Parker County Sheriff’s deputies for outstanding warrants for failure to appear in court and driving with an invalid license. She posted $887 bond and was released from the Parker County jail on Jan 7.… Read the rest

Continue Reading

New Year, new laws

January 8, 2014
New Year, new laws

By Natalie Gentry
The New Year brought with it an assortment of new laws across Texas – 47 took effect on Jan 1.
These laws are among the 600 passed during the legislative session last year.
The Senate and the House of Representatives passed laws that addressed issues as varied as service dogs, concealed carry licenses, tanning ages, and mixed drinks.

Pour another round
House Bill (HB) 3572 cut the overall taxes establishments had to pay to the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission from 14 percent to 6.7 percent.… Read the rest

Continue Reading

Parker County Arrests

January 8, 2014

The following individuals who list addresses in the Azle and/or Springtown areas were arrested by various law enforcement agencies and booked into the Parker County Jail during the week of Dec. 27-Jan. 5.
Troopers from the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) arrested a 25-year-old Springtown man on Dec. 28 and charged him with driving with an invalid license and without insurance. He also had three Azle traffic warrants and two Fort Worth traffic warrants. He posted $2,422.23 bond and was released from the Parker County jail on Dec 31.… Read the rest

Continue Reading

12 area residents among indicted

December 30, 2013
12 area residents among indicted

by Carla Noah Stutsman
The Parker County Grand Jury returned a plethora of indictments when it met to consider evidence Thursday, Dec. 19, in Weatherford.

Among those indicted were eight Azle residents, three Springtown residents and a slew whose information did not include any address.
• Kodi Carlottah Anderson, 32, of Azle, possession of a controlled substance in penalty group 1, less than one gram, a third-degree felony.… Read the rest

Continue Reading

How to be a 12 percenter

December 30, 2013
How to be a 12 percenter

88 percent of New Year’s resolutions fail

by Mark K. Campbell

I was a 12 percenter once. Well, almost.
In 1997, I resolved to take nary a drink of a carbonated beverage the entire year.
And I made it through the winter, spring, and summertime.
Then came a fall football game in the Azle press box where I had just had a hot dog. (I had no hot dog resolutions – I’m not crazy.)… Read the rest

Continue Reading

Azle man pens Alabama Christmas on the River song

December 23, 2013
Azle man pens Alabama Christmas on the River song

by Natalie Gentry
The 1950’s was a time of introductions for current Azle resident Al Burkett.
The songwriter lived in Demopolis, Alabama then and he was introduced to his son’s mother as well as the local holiday festival, Christmas on the River (COTR).
“I’ve been around Demopolis almost all of my life and my son still lives there,” Burkett said. “A couple years ago we went to Christmas on the River and it was wonderful.”… Read the rest

Continue Reading