by Carla Noah Stutsman
The Parker County Grand Jury met Aug. 28 and Sept. 4 in Weatherford to hear evidence presented by the Parker County District Attorney’s Office in certain criminal cases.
During those two meetings, the Grand Jury returned 63 indictments against 50 individuals, including three Springtown men, a Pelican Bay man, and two Azle men.
Those indicted include:
• Robert Cornelius Abbott, 56, of Springtown, was indicted for driving while intoxicated, third or more, a third-degree felony.… Read the rest
The following individuals who list addresses in the Azle and/or Springtown areas were arrested by various law enforcement agencies and booked into the Parker County Jail during the week of Sept. 21-27.
• Parker County Sheriff’s deputies arrested a 28-year-old Azle woman Sept. 22 on a commitment order for a prior charge of theft $5-$500.
• A 20-year-old Springtown woman was arrested Sept. 22 by Springtown police and charged with criminal trespass.… Read the rest
‘The Star-Spangled Banner’ began as a poem
by Mark K. Campbell
The British were bombing Fort McHenry in Baltimore Harbor on Sept. 13, 1814.
Already in the War of 1812, the invaders had burned the U.S. Capitol, the Treasury Building, and the presidential home.
Now, watching The Battle of Baltimore from sea, Francis Scott Key, an attorney and amateur poet, was sure the British were about to claim another victory.… Read the rest
Two now convicted, sentenced
Seven men who reside in the Azle and Springtown areas were indicted on felony charges by Tarrant County Grand Juries during the month of June.
Two of those men have since been convicted and sentenced, while the other five await disposition of their cases.
• Omer Jackson Elliott, 48, of Reno, was indicted June 12 for possession of a controlled substance in penalty group 1, less than one gram. Elliott subsequently pleaded guilty to the charge on July 14 and was sentenced to six months in a state jail facility.… Read the rest
The following individuals who list addresses in the Azle and/or Springtown areas were arrested by various law enforcement agencies and booked into the Parker County Jail during the week of Sept. 14-20.
• A 31-year-old Springtown man was arrested Sept. 14 by Springtown police and charged with resisting arrest, search, or transport; interfering with public duties; and giving a false report to a police officer.… Read the rest
by Carla Noah Stutsman
Area cities continue to report sales tax revenues ranging from extreme highs to extreme lows, although statewide averages continue to climb.
Texas Comptroller Susan Combs said state sales tax revenue in August was $2.57 billion, up 7.5 percent compared to August 2013.
“The latest monthly gains were led by remittances from the oil and natural gas, wholesale trade, and retail trade sectors,” Combs said. “Fiscal year 2014 ended with total collections at $27.27 billion, up 5.5 percent over the previous year.… Read the rest
The popular play A Tuna Christmas is coming to Weatherford’s Theater Off The Square (TOTS) and they need male actors.
Auditions are set for as many as 11 men ages 20’s to 60’s; each actor will portray multiple roles.
The initial round of auditions is set for Monday, Sept. 22 at TOTS’ Green Room at 114 North Denton.
Call backs are Wednesday, Sept. 24.… Read the rest