by mark k. campbell
After surviving one of the coldest Novembers on record, December is about to try to one up it.
Following several remarkably mild days as the month started, December is about to get cold – and maybe icy.
Of course, that’s what weather forecasters said Nov. 22-23 when a cold rain arrived and was expected to turn to ice – as much as two inches.… Read the rest
On Sunday, Dec. 8, the Doss Heritage and Culture Center in Weatherford opens its doors to celebrate what would be Mary Martin’s 100th birthday.
The Weatherford native and Broadway star will be honored with the opening of an exhibit that will run through August 2014.
A special talk is slated for 2 p.m. by Martin historian George Dansker.
“The Real Mary Martin in Words and Music” will focus on the personal side of the star’s life.… Read the rest
A Parker County grand jury returned 41 indictments against 29 individuals when it met to consider evidence Thursday, Nov. 21, in Weatherford.
Of those 29 individuals, four list Azle addresses and four are Springtown residents.
• Shannon Paige Cooper, 41, of Springtown, indicted for possession of a controlled substance in penalty group 1, less than one gram, a state jail felony.
• Chance Lee Jarrett, 25, of Springtown, indicted for evading arrest with a vehicle, a third degree felony, as well as for unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, a state jail felony.… Read the rest
The University Interscholastic League approved a proposal to add competition for students in wheelchairs to the 2014 track and field state meet.
Student athletes using wheelchairs will participate in a pilot program in three events – 100-meter dash, 400-meter dash, and the shot put.
In other events from an October meeting:
• the Barbara Jordan Historical Essay Competition and the Latino History Essay Competition are now sanctioned as UIL contests for high schools seniors… Read the rest
The following individuals from the Azle and Springtown areas were indicted by a Tarrant County grand jury during the month of November:
• Tony Villanueva, 26, of Azle, indicted Nov. 5 for robbery.
• Kimberly Denise Williamson, 43, of Springtown, indicted Nov. 5 for possession of a controlled substance in penalty group 1, less than one gram.
• Michael Brian Carlson, 32, of Reno, indicted Nov. 6 on a charge of robbery.… Read the rest
By Natalie Gentry
“Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.” ~Matthew 5:4
The holiday season is a time of celebrations and Christmas cheer.
However, for families coping with the death of a loved one, it can also be a stark reminder of their loss.
Because sorrow felt during this time of year is often magnified by the additional loss of family holiday traditions, the grief can become overwhelming for some.… Read the rest
The following individuals who list addresses in the Azle and/or Springtown areas were arrested by various law enforcement agencies and booked into the Parker County Jail during the week of Nov 10-16.
A 21-year-old Azle woman was arrested by Parker County Sheriff’s deputies on Nov. 10 for a warrant for assault (family violence). She posted $2,500 bond and was released later that day.… Read the rest
by Natalie Gentry
This story contains information that some readers might find objectionable.
Andrew Murphy Howard, 30, of Azle was arrested earlier this month after being accused of three counts of assault, two sexual.
Murphy was charged with two counts of aggravated sexual assault and one count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after Parker County Sheriff’s deputies responded to a call at Howard’s residence.… Read the rest
by Carla Noah Stutsman
The sparsely populated province of Iloilo in the Philippines is known as “the heart of the Philippines.” but to Cherry Sipe of Azle, it’s the place she called home for the first 19 years of her life.
When Typhoon Haiyan (called Yolanda by Filipinos) struck Nov. 8, its eye devastated the northern parts of Iloilo and killed at least 200 people.… Read the rest